Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Driving in Germany

Many people associate the Autobahn with the joy of no speed limit.  I associate it with people speeding by at 220 km/hour and giving me an ulcer because I'm not getting back in the "slow" lane fast enough.  These Krauts take the role of the left passing lane very seriously! My comfort level ceases at around 130 and Andrew's 150 gives me  stomach cramps and white knuckles.  Plus, there's so much construction -- sometimes it seems like more of the road is reduced to 80 than not.

We drove down to Neumarkt to meet our swap family (about 7 1/2 hours if you drove straight).  Of course along the way, we took lots of breaks.  Our first castle of the year is Marienberg just outside of Hildesheim.  All Declan wanted to see was where the king sits!

Then at Hainich National Park ( a UNESCO World Heritage site) we took a stroll on a fantastic tree top path Baumkronenpfad.  The kids and I loved it and poor Andrew (fear of heights) stayed very close to the wall.  The nature center was wonderfully done complete with eggs that tell you the story of their contents!

No comments:

Post a Comment